Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do others find younger audiences more discerning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do others find younger audiences more discerning?

Hey everyone. Big fan of your channel Andrew, and wanted to offer a massive thank you for the content you put up to help other indies!

My band launched our first single on Friday. I am a complete novice at marketing/branding, but I've spent the whole pre release doing as much research as I can. We're a rock group, and our music is kinda inspired by 90's/2000's festival pop/punk bands, with a bit more of an edge. (Green day would be a closeish parallel) For our first campaign, I set a budget of $100 a day for the first 3 days, and to taper down over the next 2 weeks. I made ad sets with 5 different types of ads

14 secconds of the songs chorus, high quality multicam footage of us playing live
    14 secconds of the guitar solo, high quality footage of us playing live
    14 secconds of the guitar solo with TXT announcing the band name/song name
    7 secconds song intro, video clip
    7 secconds of the intro, album artwork

(Currency has been adjusted to read USD)
    For my initial campaign, I targeted EUR, AUS, USA and South America, broad age range, with an interest in rock music/spotify. This ran for 36 hours and was performing to my satisfaction, our cost was 0.20 per conversion, we had 879 conversions, gained approx 20 facebook followers, and as a bonus charted number 19 on the Australian independent music charts (called Triple J Unearthed) However 56% of our reach were people over the age of 55, and like 40% people 35-54. Many who liked our posts were not native english speakers, and made me worry that we we're reaching mostly elders who didn't properly know how to operate their facebook and were just clicking on every single post.

So on day 3, I decided to add an additional campaign. I put a further $100 to target 18-40yo's in Australia, and ran 5 different ad sets targeting interests of Green Day, Foo Fighters, The Living End (a very popular Australian band) and Fall Out Boy, hoping to gain some younger/local fans. After only 6 hours, I had to shut the campaign off. I'd spent $63 and received 2 conversions!!! out of a reach of 4456 people.

So back to the drawing board, My current assumptions are this

1) Simple having music/band playing in the ad doesn't excite younger audiences
    2) If the audience I'm targeting are anything like me, then they have become completely numb to advertising. Skipping everything that is an ad instinctually
    3) If the audience I'm targeting are anything like me, seeing a band advertising for you to listen to their song feels a little desperate. Especially as our music isn't quite "pop" enough for top 40 plays, we'd likely make it to the alt rock stations instead. And there may be a bit of stigma about trying to advertise a genre thats trying to "stick it to the industry"

I figured I'd post these stats to see if anyone here has had similar experiences, and if anyone can help point me in a positive direction from here. As a band, I do feel fearful of "over marketing" your music just for the sake of popularity. I (and i think several rock bands) want to believe that the music ALONE should be strong enough to entice people. So the challenge for me is finding the middle ground between keeping it real, and selling out (challenge of all of us i suppose)

Big love if you've made it this far, any tips or shared experiences would be so much appreciated!
    Last edited by CTravaglini; 03-16-2021, 02:49 AM.

Also haven't linked to any of the music or ads in case self promo is frowned upon around here. But if that would be helpful in any way I'll happily link!

Comment

Hey man, glad to have you here. You might want to give all 3 pages of this thread a read: https://forum.generastudios.com/foru...learning-phase it started off as a discussion about the Facebook learning phase and got sidetracked into a much deeper discussion on Facebook advertising. I think you might find some ideas there that could help you along

If you still have the same question after reading through all of that, then just reply to this thread again

Comment

Fantastic thread! A few things I wouldn't mind clarifying.

From what I gathered, you like to start your ads with an insanely narrow audience, OR a very broad audience. The distinction between the two being the narrow audience will start you with lower CPR sooner, but the broader will allow Facebook's algorithm to find people you may have missed in your narrow targeting.

When A/B testing, what variables are you looking to pit against each other? Target demographics, the creative type? Or do you run several?

i have a suspicion that the creative may be letting me down. Honestly I feel a little stuck at this point. I'll check out pexels and see if there's any imagery that fits the material.

There was a quote in the last thread "maybe your song just isn't good enough for this type of advertising." -- I'm definitely cautious of this factor. Not the song being bad but that trying to advertise music like this in a short snippet with a video over Facebook is not the correct approach for our potential audience. Maybe on a future release when the fan base is more established?

Either way this forum is highly helpful, I'll try pop in often to share/learn.

If anyone has any creative ideas that might work on a rock track, feel free to share!

Comment

From what I gathered, you like to start your ads with an insanely narrow audience, OR a very broad audience. The distinction between the two being the narrow audience will start you with lower CPR sooner, but the broader will allow Facebook's algorithm to find people you may have missed in your narrow targeting.
          a very narrow audience with Detailed Targeting Expansion on

When A/B testing, what variables are you looking to pit against each other? Target demographics, the creative type? Or do you run several?
          Only the creative. That's what makes the difference between $2 per conversion and $0.20 per conversion. Placements and audience are always the same for me

There was a quote in the last thread "maybe your song just isn't good enough for this type of advertising." -- I'm definitely cautious of this factor. Not the song being bad but that trying to advertise music like this in a short snippet with a video over Facebook is not the correct approach for our potential audience. Maybe on a future release when the fan base is more established?
          Sorry I couldn't speak to this. I only know my own genre and fan base

https://forum.generastudios.com/foru...ritique-thread drop your creative here and ill try to give some feedback

Comment

Working...
          X