Creative critique thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative critique thread

Drop your ad creatives (as links to the ad library, or through imgur, or however else you like) to get some honest, hard critique.

Please be 100% honest, authentic and critical. Don't just be nice for the sake of it
    Last edited by georgik; 03-12-2021, 08:16 AM.

Great idea, do post yours too =).

Here's mine: https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...3319&sort_data[direction]=desc&sort_data[mode]=relevancy_monthly_grouped

I do electronic/dance music and have been going with studio jam videos as much as I can. I find anything with a person in performs much better, and I try to make the copy personal too (my single, my new track). I have experimented with social proof in the copy (DJ support from DJ X), but not really seen much difference.

My best performing ads have over time got down to £0.06 per conversion.

Some of those at that link are these 3D blender videos I made as I have been moving house and haven't been able to film new jam videos for a while. I will get back to those as soon as I can as they do perform much better.

Comment

totally learning as i go here and doing it all myself (including premier!) - but here is what i haven't already ruled out as the best performing of my set so far:

https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...7183&sort_data[direction]=desc&sort_data[mode]=relevancy_monthly_grouped

my costs are super high still but i dont yet know which of the many factors affecting it it might be. i welcome your honest feedback - as long as it get me to connect my music with more people, i'd love your input.

it seems like the clear CTA up top, not fucking around and being fancy - just up on screen immediately is better (earlier versions waited 2-3 secs to come in). And seems like the people perform better as background (via pexels). also seems pretty 50/50 split on audio of the chorus vs clip with melodic hook - but slight edge to singing part so i've been running with that.

Comment

Originally posted by mentataudio View Post
        Great idea, do post yours too =).

Here's mine: https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...3319&sort_data[direction]=desc&sort_data[mode]=relevancy_monthly_grouped

I do electronic/dance music and have been going with studio jam videos as much as I can. I find anything with a person in performs much better, and I try to make the copy personal too (my single, my new track). I have experimented with social proof in the copy (DJ support from DJ X), but not really seen much difference.

My best performing ads have over time got down to £0.06 per conversion.

Some of those at that link are these 3D blender videos I made as I have been moving house and haven't been able to film new jam videos for a while. I will get back to those as soon as I can as they do perform much better.
        looks good man! i haven't even messed with copy as i thought generally we should target stories, but i think im learning that isn't always the case. i dig your track too!

Comment

mentataudio Not my genre so not an expert, but here are some ideas:

first and foremost, when it comes to (all videos but especially) live videos, I would suggest making it more aesthetic. Instagram is ALL about aesthetics. check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjYjrd_ozQw now compare it to yours. notice how much nicer the youtube video looks. And it's not because of camera quality, but because of the clothes, the set, the framing/camera angle and most importantly the lighting. You've got great facial structure. I'm sure with the right aesthetics you could make an awesome looking video. Better than that Youtube video

like, i said, not my genre but i just had the idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTUupME0-M you could also pay someone on fiverr to record a dance video for you

Regarding captions, I have very negative experiences with captions starting with "listen to my..." or "check out my..." or anything like that. Comes off as needy and makes people's brains go "WARNING AD ALERT" and they shut off and scroll to the next post

Check out my captions, it might drive some ideas:
          https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...3343&sort_data[direction]=desc&sort_data[mode]=relevancy_monthly_grouped
          For my genre of music, I find what works best is telling the story behind my song. It reinforces the vibes of the song and gives people a story context from which they can more easily access and feel the music. A lot of people leave comments replying to my captions specifically

Although all things considered, if you are consistently getting results under $0.10 per conversion then you are doing it better than me lol

Now, regarding the blender ads, once again, not my genre, but I find them somewhat aesthetically unpleasant. Your video is always supposed to reflect the music and enhance it and I see what you were going for here but maybe you could try using complementary colors for the foreground and background? This could help you choose the right colors https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Also, if feel like you can't make great videos for your ads you might be better off outsourcing the job to someone on fiverr whose aesthetics are similar to those of the the big names in your genre (that you aspire to be like). It will end up saving you money in the long run

One final tip for your audio: as soon as i played your ad the music blasted at full volume and startled me. You should give it a 0.2 second gain increase at the start (and maybe the end) so as to not startle people

Final final tip, if you look at my ads, you will see the white text "Listen on Spotify" pop up after 3 seconds. I find that this always increases my conversions if done exactly this way. might have to a/b test it to see if it would work for you

EDIT: final final final idea: you might wanna a/b test every part of your song that is significantly different along with the same creative in order to find which part of the song converts best. you might have already done this but just wanted to put it out there
          Last edited by georgik; 03-18-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

nick92675 imo the part of the chorus repeating "dangerous" is imo too repetitive for an ad. Ideally you want more dynamics in the short amount of time you listener will hear your song. Listening to the same thing over and over gets annoying

Also, I would go with 30 seconds of video minimum. 15 is too short. IG Stories auttomatically splits your 15+ second videos into two, three, or however many story "cards" -- depending on what IG thinks will get the best conversions for every individual user

Honestly, after listening to it on Spotify, you might have to consider that this song might just not be good for this type of advertising. I have a few songs that I tried this strategy with and it just did not work. It sucks, but some songs just don't work in this format and I feel like this might be one of those

Comment

georgik - Wow, thanks so much for this feedback and sharing of your experience. It's really generous of you to share this thinking and I really appreciate it.

There's lots here I want to try now! Some just makes intuitive sense, like the fade ins of the music. Others is an AB test situation I think, so will try that.

On the live video quality there's some interesting territory to explore. I think in the 'underground' electronic music genre there's some balance to be had between production values and authenticity. Make a live jam video too flashy and it could come across as very commercial and not something underground and authentic. I've been told that by a label I work with. That said, your feedback could be implemented to make these videos better and still maintain that authenticity so certainly going to try some of these things.

On the copy, I was going with the idea that telling people what you want them to do very clearly is important in driving them to do it. However, I think you've suggested doing that in the visuals rather than in the text. I did A B test something more about the music in the copy a while back and found the clear calls to action worked better. I might be missing a trick where I could get the CTA into the visual and something more engaging into the copy. Will try that.

Thanks again, I've got so much to go on from your experience =). Will implement some things and report back!
              Last edited by mentataudio; 03-18-2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Hi guys! Would REALLY REALLY appreciate feedback as I'm about to give up here. My ads are always super expensive and get more expensive as days go by... lets start with the creatives, if you can give me any pointers or insights I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...06734811235094

Comment

Aight so I think you might be using the wrong part of the song for ads. Very repetitive. I would a/b test the other parts of the song if i were you. I personally think starting with the the "now all i can see" part would perform best

Also, the video is totally random. No emotion at all. Look on pexels.com and try to find a video that emotionally resonates with the audio (especially the first 5 seconds)

Also, the "swipe up" text is not a e s t h e t i c in my opinion. You are probably getting bette results with it than without it but that is only because the video itself is so random and without it people would immediately just keep scrolling without a second thought. once you find a good video, make the "swipe up" blend in after 3 seconds, after you already have emotionally hooked your viewer -- much more effective to tell them what to do after you have already hooked them. And try to make it aesthetically fit the video as much as possible. a/b test designs if you must

Lastly, this is my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth, but i think it will be difficult for you to see amazing results because i believe the song itself is not amazing. I have written a few songs that I dearly love because of how much they mean to me but when i tried to promote them they just didnt connect with people. i consider them my b-sides. it doesnt mean you are a bad musician, it just means this one did not stick. I have also found that the success of songs in facebook ads strongly correlates with the quality of the song itself in terms of performance, songwriting and production. You have to always keep in mind that the vast majority of people on social media dont care about you, are very critical and very impatient -- you have to truly WOW them into loving your art. That is what it all comes down to. There's a reason Andrew's "Chains" is his best performing song -- it's also his best song period. I know people dont like it when I judge music since music is art and art is subjective but if you dont like my words then ignore me and keep doing what youre doing, this is just my opinion after all

Comment

Ok, here's mine... pretty nervous lol but feel free to tear it apart so I can learn how to do it correctly!!

Comment

You can see some of my new ads following georgik 's advice here: https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...47381785423319

I made some cover videos, with fading in music and more personal/story of the track copy. Will see how these perform compared to the others.

Going to try some of the other advice for a future campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by astralocale View Post
                        Ok, here's mine... pretty nervous lol but feel free to tear it apart so I can learn how to do it correctly!!
                        Maybe add a call to action in the video? 'Listen on Spotify', or something like that? At the moment I don't see a call to action in your copy or the video so you aren't telling people what the ad is encouraging them to actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by astralocale View Post
                          Like mental said, an aesthetically pleasing Call to Action popping up on screen (à la "Listen on Spotify") would definitely help.

Honestly, I think this might also be a case of the song not being good enough for this type of advertising. Have you tried advertising different songs? Maybe another one of your songs would perform better?

The black video of the album art is aesthetically not the best. For one, it is too dark and it is also just not interesting. No emotional at all. I don't understand why people still use static images to advertise their music, including Andrew and Tom DuPree. You need to give people an aesthetic reason to stop scrolling. People on Instagram recognise visual beauty immediately and hone in on it

The river video is better. However, it's possible that another video might give you even better results. In your case, if I was adamant about advertising this song, I would A/B test a bunch of different videos in order to find out what type of video people best respond to and then A/B test variations of that video (meaning different videos that look similar to the winner).

My newest campaign I spent over $500 just on A/B testing until I found a combination that is now getting me $0.14 per conversion (from rich countries, mostly Germany). It's worth it because I learn what works and what doesn't and now in a real campaign I can run this winning combination of audio/video until the end of time with Detailed Targeting Expansion on and always get cheap results.
                          That being said, this new campaign is also advertising my newest song which also happens to be my best song so far, at least in terms of people's reactions to it. So, the quality of the song itself (in terms of how positively the audiences respond to it) plays a huge role

P.S. great job on the caption!
                          Last edited by georgik; 03-22-2021, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mentataudio View Post
                            You can see some of my new ads following georgik 's advice here: https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...47381785423319

I made some cover videos, with fading in music and more personal/story of the track copy. Will see how these perform compared to the others.

Going to try some of the other advice for a future campaign.
                            I love the caption!! It totally hooks me emotionally

https://www.pexels.com/video/sea-wav...coast-6010489/ try this video with white text "EAST" over it (without fading in, just static text) with a fancy, pretty font. That's just the first video I saw after 2 seconds of searching so you could probably find better ones though

by the way dude, is there a reason you're using a custom built landing page? I made a few tests a while ago and I found that Toneden landing pages convert better than custom ones (I think because IG users are already so used to seeing them)
                            Last edited by georgik; 03-22-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

georgik Thanks, I will have a go at that with the video. I don't know why, I never really got into using stock video before. As you can see, I am up for testing and trying lots so will give it a go!

I set up the landing pages when stuff started to go down with the changes to facebook ads and before toneden remedied this. I have stuck with it because I cannot get https to work on a custom domain with toneden and I am concerned that some people will get security warnings without it. I did A B the toneden landing and my own and found no difference with conversion costs.

Comment

Working...
                              X